Many homeowners may install a fence around their yard without giving it much thought. Any fence is better than no fence, right? On the contrary, some fences do not do much to protect you from intruders. If you want to make sure that the fence you install on your yard is going to actively work to keep out intruders and thieves, look for a fence that has the following home defense characteristics.
The Fence Doesn’t Provide a Hiding Place
When you are looking for a fence that is suitable for home defense, look for a see-through fence. You want to be able to spot any potential intruders or suspicious characters, and you want them to know that you can see them.
The Fence is Hard to Climb
Naturally, an anti-climb fence is essential for preventing entry onto your property. A fence that is difficult to climb will include the following features:
- At least eight feet tall. Check with your homeowners association to see if there are rules for how high your fence can be.
- It has few horizontal rails. Horizontal rails can give burglars a leg up when scaling your fence, so you want little to none on your fence.
- It is spiked or pointed at the top, which will discourage attempted entry.
The Fence is Not Easily Bypassed
A security fence is useless for home defense if an intruder can easily go around it, under it, or cut through it. To ensure that bypassing is impossible, you can do the following:
- The fence is secured into the ground with concrete. Or, at the very least, make sure the posts are secured in concrete.
- The fence cannot be cut through.
- The fence includes secure gates, with padlocks and heavy material that matches the rest of your fence.
Two Excellent Security Fence Options
Metal Security Fences
These fences are made of tall, thin metal rods spaced evenly and are stylish yet low maintenance.
Wire Mesh Fencing
This fence consists of a tightly woven grid of wire and usually has panels that are hung between metal poles. Wire mesh fencing has some of the benefits of chain link fencing, without being as easy to climb or cut.
An Alternative Security Option
If it is not easy for you to install a tall security fence around your yard, you may consider installing a small, decorative fence in your front yard for home defense. This fence must be tall enough to be difficult to get over, but not so high that a burglar could hide behind it. This short fence isn’t impenetrable, but it can improve your home defense by:
- Serving as a mental barrier, discouraging break-in attempts
- Making it harder to go unnoticed. If someone is struggling to hop over a fence, neighbors may notice this attempted break-in
- Eliminating quick getaways
To be effective, this fence should go around your entire front yard, and any gates should be locked.
Residential Fences for Your Home from Hercules Fence DC
Hercules Fence DC has been providing homeowners with quality fences for over 50 years. We are well equipped to meet your needs, whether they are residential or commercial. We have extensive experience working with families and pet owners to keep the most important members of their home safe, so call us today about installing a new pet fence for your family. Contact us by giving us a call at 301-441-1600 or visiting us online. To see examples of our work, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Flickr.